Meatless Monday: Potato Tacos
I can’t remember my first run in with the potato taco, but it was sometimes last year (2011) and I haven’t looked back since.
What’s that? You’ve never eaten potato tacos? You will after this.
The great thing about these is they’re totally customizable. Serve them with whatever toppings and fixings your little vegetarian heart desires. I made a roasted corn salsa, pico de gallo, guacamole and sauteed onions and peppers. If you’re a dairy lover, you can add sour cream and cheese.
I used mostly purple potatoes because colorful food is just more fun.
This is what they looked like mashed up with a tiny bit of cream:
Delicious. We’ve got red, purple, green, yellow and white in these tacos. It’s like eating the rainbow, but without the chewy center and cavities that Skittles provide.
- 1 1/2 cup potatoes, cubed into inch pieces
- 2 Tsp. cream
- Garlic Salt
- Small corn tortillas
- Pico de gallo (see recipe below)
- Roasted corn salsa (see recipe below)
- Guacamole (click here for recipe)
- Sauteed onions and peppers, optional
- In a steam bag (or in a steam pot), steam the potatoes until they’re soft and fork tender.
- Once the potatoes are steamed, mash in a bowl with salt, pepper and garlic salt to taste. Feel free to throw in some cumin or chili powder. Add the cream and mix well. They should still be somewhat dry.
- Pile the potatoes onto warm corn tortillas and layer on your toppings.
- That’s it! Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
Pico de Gallo
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Garlic salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and let sit for an hour in the fridge for the flavors to marry.
- Serve over potato tacos.
Roasted Corn Salsa
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 lime, juiced and divided
- 1/2 Tbsp. EVOO
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced (or whole if you like spice)
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Drizzle the olive oil and half of the lime juice over the thawed corn. Toss to coat.
- In a hot pan, toss in the corn and roast over medium heat until corn gets browned and roasted
- Toss the roasted corn with the onion, cilantro and jalapeno. Season with the rest of the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Cover and let sit in the fridge for an hour to let the flavors marry. Serve over potato tacos.
Do you like potato tacos?
Posted on March 5, 2012, in Potatoes, Recipes, Salsas, Vegetarian and tagged guacamole, Meatless Monday, pico de gallo, potato tacos, Recipes, roasted corn salsa, vegetarian. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a Comment.