Meatless Monday: Avocado “Succotash”
You know I’ll find any excuse to work avocados into my meals.
So now that I’ve been washed clean of rainbow throw-up, I’m back in the kitchen whipping up a meatless meal that incorporates the green fruit.
Today’s Meatless Monday is a little bit different. I’m just supplying you with the heart of the dish, and what you do with the rest is up to you.
Succotash is usually made with kidney beans and corn, but I made my own variation with fresh avocado, black beans, onion and corn. It’s almost like a guacamole, but better. Because you can eat hoards of it and no one can blame you for eating all of the game-day dip. And you don’t get charged extra for it.
This stuff packs healthy fat (avocado), plenty of protein (hello, black beans), crunch (onions) and sweetness/color (corn).
I’ll give you the how-to for this stuff and you can pair it with whatever your vegetarian heart desires. I would suggest piling this high on:
- A bagel or English muffin
- Brown rice
- Veggie burger
- Your favorite lettuce
Be creative! You can even eat this straight out of the bowl with a fork. No one has to know.
Here’s what you need:
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 avocado, chunked
- 1/4 onion, minced
- 1/2 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- Cumin, to taste
- Chili Powder, to taste
- Cayenne, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Lemon Juice, to taste (about half a lemon)
- Drizzle some EVOO in a pan and toss in the corn. Saute until browned.
- In a bowl, combine the browned corn, avocado chunks, black beans and onion. Season with all seasonings, toss and taste. If it needs more seasonings, adjust to your tastebuds and toss again.
- Add the lemon juice and toss again to evenly distribute.
- That’s it. Seriously. You’re done. Go enjoy this “succotash” with some quinoa and feel good!