It’s the end of the summer and the dog days are here (sidenote: dog days should imply long naps, cuddling with loved ones, free meals and overall sloth-like tendencies — not extreme heat.).
This only means one thing, you guys: heirloom tomato season.
I don’t need to explain heirloom tomatoes, since I trust you’ve all read my previous posts on them, but they’re among my favorite of foods. If you haven’t tried an heirloom tomato yet, then
we can’t be friends go out to your farmers market and sample. You will never, ever, ever buy store-bought tomatoes again. Taylor Swift says so.
With a heavy supply of heat and serious lack of cooling system in my apartment, dinners that don’t require an oven or lots of burners going become popular this time of the year.
I’ve written about this simple tomato salad before back in 2010, when I was inept and void of a camera. I’m still inept, but the addition of a camera makes me seem otherwise.
Summer Heirloom Salad With Avocado, Pine Nuts and Arugula
What You Need
- 2-4 large heirloom tomatoes, any variety (double this if they’re on the smaller size), sliced
- 1 nabal avocado, sliced
- 1 cup arugula
- Very thinly sliced red ion
- 1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled [I love French feta]
- 2 ounces pine nuts, toasted
- EVOO, to taste
- Half or a whole a lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Arrange the tomato slices on two shallow plates, followed by the avocado slices, dividing equally.
- Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- Add half a cup arugula to each plate in the middle of the arrangement.
- Top with sliced onions, crumbled feta, and pine nuts.
- Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Top with a little more salt and pepper.
Add-ons and variations
- Add parsley for color and freshness
- Add green olives to compliment the creamy avocado
- Add crushed red pepper for spice
- Use goat cheese or blue cheese instead of feta
- Use a sweet onion instead of red
- Make this on a Tuesday with sliced, grilled steak to top it off
What’s your favorite heirloom tomato dish? Tell me in the comments!